Tuesday 1 December 2009

Development and construction of my newspaper

Whilst constructing my newspaper i wanted to keep a copy of where i started to where i finished so the process and development my newspaper underwent was shown and so i could identify the ways that i have improved and the difficulties and the decision i had to make with my layout.

(Click on image to view)
This is how my newspaper firstly looked once i had started putting in where my pictures, text and lines were going to be. As we are keeping the structure of are newspapers the same it was decided to have each section separated by lines so everything was clear and readable.

Colour scheme:
The main Colours throughout my newspaper is pink because of this choice of colour, i wanted to make sure my lines therefore match my masthead and this is why i decided to have three pink lines on the front page. The first line i placed under my masthead, the second separating my main article from my sub articles at the side and the third line separating the advertisement from the main article and sub articles. Doing this ensured that there was a good use of the convention gutters which all newspapers use so there are spaces between the each object and text this ensures that the layout was consistent and spaced out. Which from the print screen of my front page looks very professional.

Masthead, Date and Web address:
We have our slogan 'your local youth newspaper' placed just on top of our masthead in black to contrast from a light to dark colour and so teenagers can see its a youth newspaper only targeted at them. We have also included Vertically the date of our newspaper and our website address which we identified in our research as a common convention used in all newspapers so i knew it was a necessity that had to be include in both my newspaper and Korris's.

Sub Articles and Main Article:
The left hand side is the first place people read when looking at any written text which is why we changed the font making it more informal. I decided on having topics which were different colours to make my newspaper more young and vibrant. So we therefore went down the route of writing about issues to suit all teenager audiences: 'news, sport, showbiz and culture' and also included a picture within this section to keep it interesting. The article on my front page was going to be about clubbing where i was going to do a short articles on the latest events that have been of interesting teenagers and why it is known to be one of the best night clubs bin our local area. I Placed a horizontal box underneath the text to illustrate where i was going to put my picture of the club.



(Click on image to view)
This was my second example of the progress i made from my first draft. On this draft i think it really shows how much i have grown and developed compared to the first draft i made. This page is now how i want my front page to look and all i need to do is experiment with my pictures to see which ones look best and maybe move things around if necessary.
Changes and additions:
Main Article
I have changed my main article completely as i thought it was better to go for the Gang article as it is to do with blood and death which i think is a main issues that should be on the front page as it will really get my audience talking and interested to read more. I choose to do the main title 'BLOOD TRAILS REVEAL ALL' and a sub title / banner above this 'gang feud spirals out of control' so i was revealing more about my article and is also something i identified in my research of newspapers that above the main headline there are sometimes banners.
Pictures:
On this draft i have now added two pictures that i think go very well with the layout of my newspaper. On the left hand side i only chose to go for one picture because when i researched front pages there weren't many picture used in this section. I therefore picked which story to go for in this case sport and put a picture of a footballer to related back to the sub article of a new footballer star. I included a picture of a young boy with a wine bottle in his hand and made sure he wasn't standing straight to capture the drunkenness in the picture so it relates to my article.
Article Two(front page):
I also included a second article at the bottom right hand side of the page title 'out of control teens' in bold so it stood out and a little subheading 'teenagers run riot after last nights binge'. Adding this extra article again highlight how much our newspaper relates to teenagers and show them that were offering a lot alongside our sub articles on the right hand side. Beneath this article i placed in red 'turn to page 4' to place emphasise and to encourage my audience to read on. Next to the picture i placed a caption of what the picture is showing which again is another convention i notice during my research. In the top right hand corner i have created a red shaded box where i am going to put a picture and writing but i am going to do this in a later draft so will refer to this later.
(Click on image to view)
On this draft of my newspaper i thought it was necessary to add page numbers as it would be pointless to sale a newspaper with sub articles and not provide page numbers.
The importance of page numbers for sub articles:
Giving this option shows that in my market research i have identified that not all my readers may want to read the same articles so providing different topics alongside page numbers if the are just interested in one particular article allows them to just turn to that page. Whilst writing my page numbers i firstly choose black but then realised it didn't really stand out from the text so to keep the colour scheme i used the same colour as the headings for example i have written 'sport' in blue so therefore have written 'pg20' in blue.

In this draft the only extra i have done is writing in the right hand corner to make it stand out a bit more as it looked plain before which you can see from the previous drafts i have shown.
Advertisement:
We decided that our advertisement would be placed at the bottom of the page as the convention of most newspaper place there advertisement in this place so i thought to enforce that it is a newspaper i would put my advertisement in the same position.
(Click on image to view)
As our brief requires us to now make one newspaper between us me and Korri have now put our ideas together to turn the separate newspapers we had into one. We therefore decided that we would have to just us one colour so had to decide whether or not to use my colour pink or the colour korri choose blue, we then decided it would be better to go with blue as it is a dominant colour that stood out more to us which you can see from the pic how we have now changed it compared to the pink which i have used. As we decide to change the colour to blue this required us to also change our masthead, lines and captions to blue as well. In the top right had corner we changed to box from pink to blue and added a slogan about fireworks to relate to the time of year and also added a picture to make it more interesting.
(Click on image to view)

This is the first draft of my second page as i already had produced my articles on Microsoft word so all i had to do was copy and paste them onto photoshop in the right place which meant i had to fiddle around a bit. To maintain the informal feel of our newspaper from the front page, i put the flava logo on the left hand side with our slogan on the top and a separate column at the side where i decided i wanted to include an editorial, contents and also things that are happening in the media today such as showbiz gossip such as the x factor which teenager are interested in.

(Click on image to view)
On this draft i have added my title ' editorial, what hot' and showbiz news' and now have to mess around with colours to make it stand out and also add more pictures and finish writing. For the editorial section i am going to write about what our newspaper is about .
Article one:
On this page i have placed three articles, one of which is my main article continued from the front page which i have given a new title to inform those who want to read more of the front page story for example i named it 'gang violence continued'.
Article Two:
My main second story was the original story i had on the front page but then removed it as i didn't think it would be that interesting as front page story which has to be exciting and eye catching so teenagers want to come back for more. The title of this article i wanted to keep informal so i named it 'faces! the hottest club in Essex'. I think this title was good because i used informal language 'hottest' and made sure there was a reference to our local area in it because it is a local paper so we wanted to maintain this throughout. The article was short as in our feed back from our questionnaire they said they wanted pictures bright colours and short articles so they can read it quickly and not get bored. I acknowledged that because of our target audience is young they are more interactive through using the Internet so at the end of this article i said that for more information they can log on to our website for more events, deals, and pictures.
Article three:
My third article was on the Apple iPhone which i wanted to do as i know a lot of people my age have this new phone that has just come out or either want to change there blackberry's for one so I decided it would be good to do an article on it and how good it is , what it offers and this is why i called the article 'iPhone mania' to make the article sound exciting and keep my readers attention.
Article purpose and response:
The reason why i choose these articles was because i wanted to maintain a high readership by writing about issues and topics that young people are interested in however i believe i have achieved this as i have shown my newspaper to my class mates and they said that it looks really good so far, very interesting article that they themselves would want to read about and that it has a very informal feel that they have not yet seen in any newspaper on the market today.
Sub Column:
I have named my content 'whats hot' as if i just write contents it is going to look very boring and dull and isn't really going to make readers want to know more as everyone know what a content so i named it whats hot so t will automatically question teenagers and make them want to know exactly what is hot. Underneath this i have written about the x factor as i want to also gets the girls talking and i am using my own experiences as when i come to school we always talk about x factor,celebrities and music which is what i am going to place in this section as its allows them to turn to the gossip column page which our newspaper will also be offering to our target audience. After i have done this i will upload it on to the blogger to show again the development of my newspaper.

(Click on image to view)
On this page i have now fill out my left hand column and chosen an my desired colours of my headings.
Editorial:
For my editorial i have chosen to introduce what my newspaper is trying to highlight which is a young fun vibrant and gossip and have portrayed this in an informal way to my readers by writing Hi i also included a box above this for a picture so they know who exactly is writing there newspapers each week, The colour of this headline was pink as i thought after playing around with other colours this one looked the best and suited the original feel of my newspaper.
What's Hot:
In this section it is basically my contents but i wanted to make it sound more excting whilst showing to reader what my newspaper offers. within this section i have included Tv, Celeb gossip, sports, real life stories and so on to make sure i have something to intrest all my readers. I have included a picture of the Xfactor which make it more informal and stand out also a caption in pink about the article relating to this inside which was to do with the semi finals. I made sure again page numbers were used so it was visible for my readers to see what page each section was on. Under real life stories i provided a quote from an article i was going to write about ' The morning after the night before' which i thought would really intrest them. The colour of the heading i changed to purple which is bright and stands out and also because i wanted to keep the colours consistent.



(Click on image to view)

The only addition made to this page was adding my name under the editorial section (Sarah - editor) as when i looked at other editorial there names had been placed underneath so readers are aware of who you are.


(Click on image to view)
As we had to merge our ideas together this page required changing also so we had to use blue instead of pink and change the masthead and the editorial heading to blue to maintain a colour scheme from the the front page(page one) and the second page(page two). Although we only had to change the colour we also decided other changes were necessary to.
Change and additions:
Editorial:
For our editorial we didn't see it that important to have a picture included above what we had written which allow us to have more space to add something else. Not only did we do this but also made the text shorter as we wanted to just get straight to the point so made it 4 and a half lines instead of 10, i think doing this benfited us as we had more space and our whats hot section didn't look as squashed as before. We also added korris name as one of the editors as we now
have to do one.
Picture:
We decided to increase the size of the x factor slogan to make it stand put more and tried to find a more attraatice form of the picture which we did as this picture is bigger and has more red as the previous one was too small and was becoming pixelated when we tried to increase the size of it.
Advertisement:
We decided that a second advertisement in our newspaper was needed so we did another club one and this time kept the same colours as it is for the same club but change the infomation we provided to our reader and made it more intresting and catchy. to view this advertisement seperatly go to post: Advertisment. In this one we mentioned artist such as shakira black eyed peas as a way to intrest them more and also changed the alingnment of our writing and the colour on two parts of it to white to show a change has been made. When we showed this adverisment to people our age they said it was good and the fact that we incuded such famous artist encouraged them to want to go, however they said that it would be better if we could include a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment